Re: On Overclocking - READ THIS!

Stuart Stock (stuart@gundaker.com)
Tue, 6 May 1997 14:43:20 -0500 (CDT)

On Tue, 6 May 1997, andrew meggs wrote:

> While developing the new MacOS client in assembler, I found that one
> PowerMac which had been significantly overclocked for ~3 years without any
> hint of a problem did in fact have a problem -- after it had been running
> for more than a few hours it failed to detect the key when it processed a
> block containing it.

That is a bad problem.

... SNIP ...

> but I see no reason why a
> different overclocked PowerPC might not have a problem on a different part
> of the code, or why a piece of silicon from Intel or AMD would be immune to
> similar problems when run beyond its rated speed.
... SNIP ...
> To put it as bluntly as possible, IF YOU HAVE
> AN OVERCLOCKED OR OTHERWISE UNSTABLE SYSTEM, THE DESCHALL PROJECT DOES NOT
> NEED THE "HELP" YOU MIGHT PROVIDE.

Wow, Andrew, I know a great number of PowerPC Mac owners appreciate
someone taking the time to port a client and hand-tune the assembly code
to squeak-out those last few Keys/sec, but you're flying off the handle
with the above statements. You are condemming a great number of
individuals' efforts with nothing more than your observation and opinion.
If you are frustrated, chill out.
You have pronounced thousands of machines "Unfit for DESCAHLL
Consumption" based on your experience with a bad PowerPC chip. Have you
isolated the problem? Reduced the clock speed? Substituted another chip?
Have you entertained the possibility that your code is buggy? Perhaps in
some increadibly obscure case related to the way you are using the
instruction set?
Regarding errors on Intel and other platforms: other chips are
engineered in different ways by different companies and will encounter
different effects from overclocking.

> That's not the official line from Rocke

I hope to hell it's not.

stuart