Re: Deschall bandwidth

Benjamin L. Peterson (bpeters2@nd.edu)
Tue, 6 May 1997 23:35:22 -0500 (EST)

On Tue, 6 May 1997, Justin Dolske wrote:

>Let's err on the high side. Assume 100 bytes per mesage, assume every
>message times out, and is thus sent twice. Assume your system ramps up to
>30min/block. That means you're doing 48 blocks/day, which is 96 messages.
>That's 9600 bytes per day.
>
>That would fit onto 2 pages of normally printed text (80cols, 66rows). So,
>you're generating the equivilant of 1 email message per day, per host. Ask
>you admins how many email messages are run through their mailserver every
>day to compare this with.

You forgot about the server's response messages. If every message you
send either times out or causes a collision on ethernet, you send 96 of
them. You only need one response from the server, though, for a total of
48 received. Total is 144 messages. The 100 bytes per message is almost
exactly correct, so one computer generated 14400 bytes of traffic. That
takes a 14.4kbps modem about 8 seconds to transmit, correct? And almost
no time on 10Mbps ethernet. i.e. no rational person should be too
concerned with the bandwidth generated. It's about comprable to a WWW
page, even less if the WWW page has much of anything for graphics. I like
the email message comparison.

-Ben

/* Benjamin Peterson   Computer Science Senior,  University of Notre Dame */
/* E-mail Benjamin.L.Peterson.35@nd.edu  or  bpeters2@plato.helios.nd.edu */