Re: On Overclocking - READ THIS!

Benjamin L. Peterson (bpeters2@nd.edu)
Tue, 6 May 1997 23:41:56 -0500 (EST)

On Tue, 6 May 1997, andrew meggs wrote:

>How much are we willing to gamble that the machine that gets the winning
>keyblock doesn't find its one bad sequence in the code to detect the
>correct key? It happened once, so it can happen again. We got lucky because
>it happened to one of the deschall developers runnning a controlled test.
>If it happens again to someone who's just letting a client run and trusting
>it to do the right thing, or if it's already happened, we'll never know
>until Solnet claims the prize on a keyblock we thought didn't contain the
>key.
>
>Bottom line -- I think the client needs more stringent self tests. Correct
>code can and will be executed incorrectly on overclocked CPU's even when
>they appear to be fine, and until there's a client that can catch this in
>every case I think it would be best to only run the client at your rated
>clock speed.

Would it be hard to add a brief test to the client, such as the one of
yours that failed? Perhaps it could be run every time a keyblock is
completed, to ensure the processor hasn't overheated since the last test.

-Ben

/* Benjamin Peterson   Computer Science Senior,  University of Notre Dame */
/* E-mail Benjamin.L.Peterson.35@nd.edu  or  bpeters2@plato.helios.nd.edu */