TCP vs UDP based keyserver observation..

Leo Schmidt (leo@sparc.isl.net)
Wed, 7 May 1997 10:30:23 -0500 (CDT)

Here's an interesting message I found on linux-net:

--- Begin Forwarded Message ---
Date: Tue, 6 May 1997 03:55:10 +0200
From: Lindgren Fredrik <fli@solnet.sollentuna.se>
Subject: TCP performance - doc pointers
Sender: owner-linux-net@vger.rutgers.edu
[Some headers deleted]

Hi!

I'm looking for some pointers on how to implement "high-
performance" TCP applications with Linux.

The reason for this is that I'm part of the team that is
running the SolNET Coordinated DES Effort in response
to the RSA DES Challenge.

Our Client/Server design uses TCP for communication.
And we're having some problems with performance of the
servers.

Currently the servers receives about 2-5 TCP connections
per second and the server process uses about 5-15% CPU.
This doesn't seem that high, yet the clients often experience
timeouts. This suggest to me that we've done something
wrong in the network implementation of the server.

That's why I'm looking for info on how to do "high-performance"
servers using TCP.

Regards,
Fredrik Lindgren
SolNET DES Team
--- End Forwarded Message ---

It would appear that a UDP-based server really does work better
in this kind of client-server environment than a TCP-based server.

-Leo