Re: when will intel show off the Pentium II...

Nathan D. T. Boyd (boydn@graphics.lcs.mit.edu)
Wed, 07 May 1997 20:01:49 -0400

Daniel Berlin wrote:

> To be honest, it's because there flashy new machines aren't all that
> quick.
> If you overclock a Pentium Pro 200mhz to 233mhz, you get the EXACT (to 4
> decimal places) same performance as a pentium II 233mhz on all the
> benchmarks i could run, on 4 different motherboards.

For one, how could these processors be used on the same motherboards?
The Pentium II uses the new "Slot 1" -- it won't work in any Pentium Pro
motherboard. I don't believe I understand the benchmarking you are
referring to.

Secondly, from what I have seen, in some ways the PII acts only like an
overclocked PPro, but on other benchmarks it is definitively better than
that. There are some real architectural improvements: for example, PII
supports speculative writes ala renamable segment registers. Not to
mention the fact that Intel "just" added the MMX instructions. I don't
imagine you believe this to be a trivial task.

> Then again, i own AMD stock

I believe this is should prove to be an *outstanding* value over the
next 18 months.

> then again, i've owned intel stock longer.

Good man... my Intel stocks are about to split for the third time ;>

--
Nate Boyd                        MIT Computer Graphics Group, NE43-249
mailto:boydn@graphics.lcs.mit.edu                   617.258.5090 [tel]