Re: MIT student newspaper article

Ethan M. O'Connor (zudark@mit.edu)
Thu, 08 May 1997 00:57:36 -0400

At 11:33 PM 5/7/97 -0500, Joe Gross wrote:
>http://ni.cso.uiuc.edu/~jgross/pictures/ultra/
>for some neat pictures of the "powerstack."
>
>We will add the client to 300 high end workstations once finals end
>next friday.
>
>I guess the real question is what will happen when the dorm folks from
>the respective schools go home.
>
>I'm curious where MIT is running the clients and how much that will be
>impacted when they let out for summer. A lot of ours are dorm machines
>that will go away at the end of next week. Hopefully idle lab machines
>can take up the slack.
>
>Anyone know when MIT's semester ends?

Finals week is the 19th through the 23rd. As far as I know (just from
word of mouth), most of our clients are in dorm rooms. That's probably
changing rapidly, though. I know that when I first started
running the client on my machine, there were only 3 from mit.edu,
and it took a _long_ time to get above 10 or 15 :)

Now, if we could only get LCS to run it on their Ultra Enterprise cluster...
(I forget the number of processors, but it's supposed to do 30GFLOPs
(I know deschall doesn't care about FLOPs at all, but that's the only
performance metric I have for the thing)).

-Ethan O'Connor