Re: Windows TCP/IP LAN

Jason Gmoser (noggle@isoc.net)
Thu, 08 May 1997 09:26:46 GMT

On Wed, 7 May 1997 23:44:33 -0400, you wrote:

>Forgive my TCP/IP ignorance, but i have a lan with a bunch of Windows NT
>and 95 clients. I would love to donate all of the idle cycles, but i only
>have one Internet connection through MS's dial-up networking. Does anyone
>know if i can share this connection to run deschall on all of the pc's?

I have done this and am currently doing it now. You need 2 programs to get it
to work successfully. One, as already said by someone else, is either WinGate
or WinProxy. I'm using WinProxy because WinGate was upsetting me, but it
doesn't really matter, they both do the same thing. The other program is called
AutoSOCKS. This will allow your one net-connection computer to act as a
firewall and the other computers running autosocks will use it to connect
outside. These programs are found here: http://www.deerfield.com/wingate
and http://www.aventail.com/products.html. WinProxy can be found at
http://www.winproxy.com. I would urge you to use WinProxy if you have more than
one computer, as you can only connect one more to the net with WinGate if it's
unregistered. Just now looking at their sites it seems that they messed with it
and no longer have the configuration listed. It's not that hard, I can probably
walk you through it if you want me to give you a call or something. I'm trying
to find a serial number.......

Jason Gmoser
noggle@isoc.net