RE: MIT student newspaper article

Adam Haberlach (HaberlaA@testlab.orst.edu)
Thu, 8 May 1997 08:54:12 -0700

- -----Original Message-----
From: Nathan D. T. Boyd [SMTP:boydn@graphics.lcs.mit.edu]
Sent: Wednesday, May 07, 1997 10:30 PM
To: Joe Gross
Cc: deschall@gatekeeper.megasoft.com
Subject: Re: MIT student newspaper article

Joe Gross wrote:
>> We bought 50 Dual 200mhz Ultra's for a lab next fall and are
>> using 40 of them this summer specifically for the challenge
>(ahh the
>> beauty of jumpstart) They were set up late last night so
>we'll see
>> what the rankings look like tomorrow.
>Now that just ain't fair. The NCSA is definitely contributing
>big!

Sheesh. Don't make me try and get time on our Oceanography
Department's CM5. Or the CS department's Maiko.

>I was curious as to how the size of the student bodies stacked
>up... I
>guess that UIUC has about 25K undergrads, while MIT has 4K --
>MIT has
>about 4K graduate students as well, I'm not sure about UIUC.

Oregon State has about 12k undergrads. I'm not sure about grad
students.

>> I guess the real question is what will happen when the dorm
>folks from
>> the respective schools go home.
>I would guess that the vast majority of our contribution comes
>from
>individual's personal machines -- I know of know
>labs/supercomputer/clusters dedicated to DESCHALL.

We're mainly running on the business department's lab of
pentium machines, which is getting more and more use by silly
businiess students for silly things like producing PowerPoint
presentations for silly classes run by silly professors. Don't
they have any sense of priorities? Deschall is important... :)

We're not out of school for another month. Then you can expect
us to leap for a week, and then drop somewhat, as the lab
machines go full-time during our break and then go back to
somewhat less use over the summer.

>Our finals finish up May 23rd...

...at which point we still have two weeks of school left...

- ---
Adam Haberlach haberlaa@ucs.orst.edu
http://www.engr.orst.edu/~haberlad
Crack DES now! http://www.frii.com/~rcv/deschall.htm