Re: Windows TCP/IP LAN

Dan Oetting (oetting@gldfs.cr.usgs.gov)
Thu, 8 May 1997 10:21:37 -0600

On Wed, 7 May 1997, David Ward wrote:

> Forgive my TCP/IP ignorance, but i have a lan with a bunch of Windows NT
> and 95 clients. I would love to donate all of the idle cycles, but i only
> have one Internet connection through MS's dial-up networking. Does anyone
> know if i can share this connection to run deschall on all of the pc's?

What we really need is a caching proxy gateway for intranets that don't
have 24/7 access to the internet. What we don't need is users hogging
dialup lines just to run DESCHALL. If the internet dialup access providers
find out whats happening they may start blocking udp access to the deschall
port.

-- Dan Oetting <oetting@gldfs.cr.usgs.gov>