Re: Windows TCP/IP LAN

Stephen Langasek (vorlon@dodds.net)
Thu, 8 May 1997 13:49:39 -0500 (CDT)

On Thu, 8 May 1997, Collin Ong wrote:
> On Thu, 8 May 1997, Dan Oetting wrote:
> > What we really need is a caching proxy gateway for intranets that don't
> > have 24/7 access to the internet. What we don't need is users hogging
> > dialup lines just to run DESCHALL. If the internet dialup access providers
> > find out whats happening they may start blocking udp access to the deschall
> > port.

> I agree. At home, I'm living in fear of my ISP killing me or my
> connection since I have been almost continuously logged in running the
> deschall client. Since it takes my machine about 44 min to run a 2^29
> block, it would make sense for the client to disconnect once it gets the
> key block, then reconnect to send the results and get a new block.

> Is this possible? I'm running the PowerMac client at home in case
> somebody wants to take this on.

If the ISP is offering full access with no time limits, they ought well to
expect complaints if they tried to block a port or limit a user's connect
time. I can't see any sane sysadmin blocking a udp port to free up the
modem bank... But then again, when was the last time I saw a sane
sysadmin? :)

In any case, there are programs available which will autodial... I don't
know what there is for the PowerMac, though. I'm sure one of the Mac
people will chime in soon enough. :)

-Steve Langasek

Help crack DES today!
http://friley72.res.iastate.edu/des/deschall.html