RE: Windows TCP/IP LAN

Shaun Stuart (sstuart@intelidata.com)
Thu, 8 May 1997 15:41:10 -0400

>On Thu, 8 May 1997, Collin Ong wrote:
>>=20
>> I agree. At home, I'm living in fear of my ISP killing me or my=20
>> connection since I have been almost continuously logged in running =
the=20
>> deschall client. Since it takes my machine about 44 min to run a =
2^29=20
>> block, it would make sense for the client to disconnect once it gets =
the=20
>> key block, then reconnect to send the results and get a new block.
>
>If the ISP is offering full access with no time limits, they ought well =
>expect complaints if they tried to block a port or limit a user's =
connect
>time. I can't see any sane sysadmin blocking a udp port to free up the
>modem bank... But then again, when was the last time I saw a sane
>sysadmin? :)

FWIW, my ISP does offer unlimited access for a flat rate, but they also =
include a clause in their contract saying that this does not mean a =
dedicated line (for which they charge much more) and that if you are =
connected 24 hrs/day, they reserve the right to cut you off and/or =
increase your bill. Personally, I log in when I get home, let it run all =
night, and log off before leaving for work in the morning. On weekends, =
I log in Friday evening and stay connected continuously until Monday =
morning. No complaints yet :-)

Shaun