Re: Script for client loading

David Terrell (dterrell@par0515.urh.uiuc.edu)
Thu, 8 May 1997 14:43:26 -0500

On Thu, May 08, 1997 at 02:41:51PM -0400, Nelson Minar wrote:
> >We have alot of idle workstation time, but when they are being used, we
> >obviously have more important things to do, so the client would need to stop
> >or go way, way down in priority.
>
> If you're running Unix, just run the deschall clients at nice 19 and
> leave it at that. Let the Unix scheduler get the process out of the
> way, no need to do anything peculiar yourself. Really.
>
> Presumably this advice also applies for Windows "idle" priority. But I
> don't know enough about Windows scheduling to really trust it.

Here at UIUC we have a large amount of NT machines running DESchall in
background. The only task that seems to take lower priority is the
screen saver. I actually saw someone very confused in the lab today
becuase they had been away for several minutes, the screen saver kicked
in, and then stopped. They thought the computer was broken...

There really hasn't been a performance difference for user tasks though.

--
Dave Terrell
dterrell@uiuc.edu