RE: Windows TCP/IP LAN

Michael R. McClelland (drizzt@iaonline.com)
Thu, 8 May 1997 20:14:04 -0500

Dear Dan,
What the hell do you mean "just to run DESCHALL" ?? This is the most
important use there is for my dial-up connection, other than Email, Web
surfing, news, and my kid's MUD games. What planet are you from? If they
complain I'll just have to tell the kids the MUDs are out! My ISP is
already bending over backwards to keep me happy. They wouldn't dare mess
with DESCHALL. It would be nice to have the client re-establish the
connection just before it needed to talk to the keymaster though. But until
then, DUNCE keeps me connected.
Sincerely,
mike-mcclelland@usa.net
http://www.geocities.com/CapeCanaveral/Lab/1124/
The Lightning in a BrainStorm is caused by Eclectricity

-----Original Message-----
From: Dan Oetting [SMTP:oetting@gldfs.cr.usgs.gov]
Sent: Thursday, May 08, 1997 11:22 AM
To: deschall@gatekeeper.megasoft.com
Cc: Justin Dolske; Randy Weems
Subject: Re: Windows TCP/IP LAN

On Wed, 7 May 1997, David Ward wrote:

> Forgive my TCP/IP ignorance, but i have a lan with a bunch of Windows NT
> and 95 clients. I would love to donate all of the idle cycles, but i
only
> have one Internet connection through MS's dial-up networking. Does
anyone
> know if i can share this connection to run deschall on all of the pc's?

What we really need is a caching proxy gateway for intranets that don't
have 24/7 access to the internet. What we don't need is users hogging
dialup lines just to run DESCHALL. If the internet dialup access providers
find out whats happening they may start blocking udp access to the deschall
port.

-- Dan Oetting <oetting@gldfs.cr.usgs.gov>