RE: Windows TCP/IP LAN

Colin L. Hildinger (colin@ionet.net)
Thu, 08 May 97 21:07:20 -0500

On Thu, 8 May 1997 20:14:04 -0500, Michael R. McClelland wrote:

>Dear Dan,
> What the hell do you mean "just to run DESCHALL" ?? This is the most
>important use there is for my dial-up connection, other than Email, Web
>surfing, news, and my kid's MUD games. What planet are you from? If they
>complain I'll just have to tell the kids the MUDs are out! My ISP is
>already bending over backwards to keep me happy. They wouldn't dare mess
>with DESCHALL. It would be nice to have the client re-establish the
>connection just before it needed to talk to the keymaster though. But until
>then, DUNCE keeps me connected.

OK, it's small scale advocacy time (no wars please, just a small sales
pitch ;-) ). OS/2 has this cool thing called REXX built in. It's an
interpreted language that's built into the OS and can be used for all
sorts of things, including starting program objects from the desktop
(yep, OS/2's desktop is object oriented). With REXX, Rod Korte created
a script that watches DESCHALL output and starts a program object when
it detects the error that DESCHALL isn't on line. My program object is
a dialer set to automatically dial when it's opened. It then detects
that DESCHALL has started a new block and kills the dialer.

You can get it from my web page:

http://www.ionet.net/~colin/DES-Challenge.html

You can get OS/2 at a software store near you (the student deal is
pretty good), and Warp 4 comes with a GREAT bundle of
software/utilities (a package comparable to MS works, a voice/fax
program, a full license of Netscape for OS/2, and a sampler CD of ~50
OS/2 programs).

We now return you to your regularly scheduled discussion list.

Colin L. Hildinger

Games Editor - OS/2 e-Zine!
http://www.os2ezine.com/

The Ultimate OS/2 Gaming Page