Re: Client ID?

Dean Mills (dmills@cablelan.net)
Thu, 08 May 97 19:28:11

On Thu, 8 May 1997 22:01:45 -0400 (EDT), Christopher Dickens wrote:

Hi Chris,

>Whoa, whoa, whoa! You mean the cable places wont let you set up a simple
>web server on a machine hooked up through their service?! How lame. I
>thought they'd be the achiles heel of telephones and we'd see the phone
>system collapse until now...

You'd think so wouldn't you. But, he seems to think my web server would
generate too much "inner" traffic on his little WAN if I put up a page
that generated, oh say, 1000 hits a day. He still hasn't said how that
page on my web server generating hits is different from if I let his
machine host it, but, he's the ISP, and for 50K/second FTP sessions,
and the 24/7 flat rate, it can't be beat, not right now anyway. Same
goes for mailing lists, I tried setting one up, he killed my E-Mail and
said that's an extra $25.00/month. But, as soon as my hub gets here
next week, 6 more machines I pulled out of the closet start crunching
DESChall clients, and he's none the wiser (15.00/month per extra
machine).

Dean Mills, DevBahn Archiver/Founder.

/* DevBahn - OS/2 Programming Sanctuary */
/* devbahn@geocities.com */
/* http://www.geocities.com/SiliconValley/Heights/8867/ */
/* DevBahn - OS/2 Game Programming Sanctuary */
/* devbahn-games@geocities.com */
/* http://www.geocities.com/SiliconValley/Heights/8678/ */