Re: Client ID?

Aaron Williams (aaronw@eng.adaptec.com)
Thu, 8 May 1997 20:00:56 PST

** Reply to note from Christopher Dickens <cdickens@ntr.net> Thu, 8 May 1997 22:01:45 -0400 (EDT)

> On Thu, 8 May 1997, Dean Mills wrote:
>
> > >And you don't have it set up as a web server yet? I think he said it
> > >was in Java anyway, right?
> >
> > Actually, I did have it as a web server, but my ISP doesn't like
> > servers running on his WAN, and said if he found it running again that
> > he would "zap" my machine. If it's in Java, no probs at all, doing a
> > bit of that myself :)
>
> Whoa, whoa, whoa! You mean the cable places wont let you set up a simple
> web server on a machine hooked up through their service?! How lame. I
> thought they'd be the achiles heel of telephones and we'd see the phone
> system collapse until now...

I can understand that somewhat. I have a cable modem connection through
@Home for $35/month (10Mb full duplex!). I have a Web server (written
entirely in Java) on my system and I havn't gotten any complaints, but
that's only because they havn't found it (as far as I know) and I don't
get that many hits. Basically what @Home does is they have a huge
caching web proxy (50GB of cache!) to try and minimize their impact on
the Internet. Also, they have lots of fat pipes going from the Internet
to their network but only a T1 line going the other way. They don't
want web servers filling up their T1 line. They do offer web page space
on their server, though. I prefer my server, but I'm still writing it.

As for cracking DES I just wrote a UDP to TCP Proxy gateway in Java that
I'm using here at Adaptec. I hope to get some more machines on line
here (we have lots of Suns collecting dust).

One thing I would like to see is the idle priority of the OS/2 deschall
changed from +31 to around +5. At +31 it seems to have some interaction
problems with the WPS (which has an idle priority thread running at
+25).

On NT scheduling sucks if the screen saver kicks in. It's next to
impossible to get the computer back (usually CAD+task manager). I hate
NT!

-Aaron

Aaron Williams
Adaptec, Inc.
aaronw@eng.adaptec.com
(408) 945-8600 x3425
Inter-Networking Technology
Check out our web site at HTTP://www.adaptec.com/networking/ATM.html
Personal Java-based home page at HTTP://24.1.65.193 (9am-midnight PST only)