Re: Deschall as a Windows NT Service?

Greg Hewgill (gregh@lightspeed.net)
Thu, 8 May 1997 22:47:04 -0700

> From: Nathan D. T. Boyd <boydn@graphics.lcs.mit.edu>
> Thanks for the help, Mark, but the service still fails to start
> correctly when I redirect the output to a file. I think this may be a
> limitation/restriction of NT services.

In NT, the command processor (cmd.exe) is the part that does the
redirection. Normally cmd.exe is not involved in running services. You
might be able to have srvany run something like the following command line:

cmd /c deschal5 keymaster.verser.frii.com >>deschall.log

This launches the command processor, the /c option tells cmd to take the
remainder of the command line as another command line, and it ought to pick
up the log file redirection at that point.

Disclaimer: I haven't tried this. I'm running deschall under NT as a
service on about a dozen machines, but I'm using a hacked-together stub
service that just starts deschall (sort of a srvany tailored specifically
to deschall).