Re: Why crack more than 40bit RC5 keys? (WAS RE: RC5, hiding source code)

Jason Gmoser (noggle@isoc.net)
Mon, 12 May 1997 02:28:29 GMT

On Sun, 11 May 1997 21:10:58 -0400 (EDT), you wrote:

>With an investment of as little as $400 on some basic FPGA equipment,
>this problem can be solved at a much greater speed. With a bigger
>FPGA, or use of ASIC, the speed with which keys can be found by brute
>force is frightening, and when considered on a per-key basis,
>frighteningly cheap (as low as $0.08 per key).

What kind of hardware are you talking about? I have tried to find information
on the VM007 chip on page 279? of applied cryptography unsuccessfully. I wanted
to attempt to implement something in hardware for the hell of it.

Jason Gmoser
noggle@isoc.net