Re: 64bit or 1024bit - will it make a difference?

Scott Lipcon (slipcon@cs.jhu.edu)
Sun, 11 May 1997 23:24:23 -0400 (EDT)

Well, 1024 is a hell of a lot bigger than 56 bit. Each bit adds a power
of two number of keys... 57 bit is twice as long as 56 bits... therefore,
a 1024 bit key is 2^968 times as long as 56 bits. Assuming it takes us 3
months to crack 56 bits, and assuming our computing power continues to
increase at the same rate (someone mentioned Moore's Law - computing power
doubles every 18 months) That says that in the 10 years that you mention,
our computers will be about 12 times more powerfull, so it will take 1
week to crack a 56 bit key. Using these pretty general assumptions, it
will take approximately 5 x 10^287 years to crack a 1024 bit key... thats
a pretty long time!!

Scott