Re: setting deschal6 as service under NT

Johnathan P. Gaetz (jgaetz@einstein.pcd.usr.com)
Tue, 13 May 1997 10:50:23 -0500

At 06:01 PM 5/12/97 -0400, Nathan D. T. Boyd wrote:
>rob curtis wrote:
>>

>Stopping the service doesn't seem to kill the deschal6.exe process -- I
>think SRVANY is confused and tries to kill the original cmd.exe
>process. This means that after stopping the process, you have to
>manually kill the deschal6.exe process with the Task Manager. The
>implication is that you'll want to run the service under a non-system
>account (such as your account) so that you'll have the permissions
>necessary to kill deschal6.exe.

If you do not check the box "Allow Service to Interact with Desktop",
NT will not open the command window and will be superficially undetectable
(which may or may not be a good thing). If you do in fact do this, I'm not
sure how to stop deschall from running as I didn't check to see if it actually
shows up in the task list as a task.

Also, if you're running deschal6.exe on your pentium-pro, you may want to
consider
running deschal4.exe. In my testing its proven itself to run faster by
tens of
thousands of keys per second (once it reaches 30 or 31^2 keys).

Johnathan