Re: Win95 GUI front-end

Icepick (icepick@pclink.com)
Wed, 14 May 1997 12:20:56 -0500

> From: Randy Weems <rweems@hotmail.com>
> To: deschall@gatekeeper.megasoft.com
> Subject: Win95 GUI front-end
> Date: Tuesday, May 13, 1997 3:44 PM
>
> But the real reason I wrote it is for the dial-up networking
> support; it has the option of initiating a dial-up networking connection
just
> before the latest key block is done, waits
> for the results to be sent and a new block obtained, and
> then hangs up. This lets you run deschal on machines that
> don't have a dedicated Internet connection; the front-end
> will automatically connect for only about 1 minute when it's
> necessary. If you're connected to your ISP when the front-end
> starts to connect, it will use the current connection and not
> close your connection when done.

I think that I've found a bug in this program. On my Pentiums,
both a 133 and a 166, when doing a block of 2^28 keys, the program
dials in after only 50% of the keys have been searched, about 400
seconds before the block is done. With a block of 2^30, it dials
in after only 13% is complete.

I puzzled over this for a while, and then noticed that at both of these
points occured at the end of a line of .'s Could there be a bug in
the end of line dectection? Or at the very least, detecting when to
dial-up.

If I hang up after it dials in by mistake, it'll try to reconnect at the
end of the next line.

Anyone else nothice these "features" ?

Also, I don't think that this GUI handles a busy signal, or a failed
connection
very well.

-Josh

When encryption is outlawed, bayl bhgynjf juyy unir ceuinpl.
Prove DES is weak, break it! http://www.frii.com/~rcv/deschall.htm