Re: OS rankings

Karl J. Runge (runge@crl.com)
Wed, 14 May 1997 22:28:39 -0700

On Wed, 14 May 1997, James Willard <james@esoteric.ilinks.net> wrote:
> Could it be possible that the "?" is FreeBSD clients? I don't see any
> rankings for FreeBSD.

No, pretty much "?" means some Unix for which the platform was not encoded
into the binary.

What happened is that that some of the NetBSD and FreeBSD clients
have exactly the same Date-ID-timestamp, e.g: "Mar 26 1997 03:36:57"
My program must have hit NetBSD first and committed the stamp. See,
to save space I map "Mar 26 1997 03:36:57" => short int.

I assume this is because the binary runs unaltered on both OS's and
is just a copy, but I am not sure. Needless to say, I was bummed
when I saw this.

The good news is it takes "only" 1 1/2 days for my frontend perl script
"digest" to digest all 400+ MB of the log files into a 25-30MB tree
structure (which further compresses by tar -czf to about 2MB), So...
I can afford to reprocess everything (hey, it'll only be the 4th time ;-)
if we figure out distinctions to make and record.

But I want to wait a bit before reprocessing again since there are
more pressing issues.

-----------------------

What would help alot is if you folks out the running on the "?" operating
systems would try to find a unique set of ID strings for your platform,
send it to me with what you would describe the OS and hardware as being.
This isn't perfect, but could help.

One way you all might proceed is:

% strings <binary-file> | more

E.g. for my linux binary I get near the bottom of output:

Linux
10:34:58
Mar 12 1997
V0.214 %s %s