Re: Dialup problems

John Moran (jondar@fast.net)
Fri, 16 May 1997 14:18:20 -0400

At 12:30 PM -0400 5/16/97, Justin Dolske wrote:
>On Fri, 16 May 1997, Lee Larson wrote:
>
>> What the new client really needs is a fix for the problem that you can't
>> drop a PPP conection and get reconnected to the key server when you
>> re-dial after the computation. There was some discussion of this
>> yesterday.
>
>Are people who are experiencing this problem waiting very long? Or are you
>getting errors, or what? The client, if it doesn't receive an immediate
>reply from the server, will start waiting longer and longer before it
>retransmits. IIRC, the upper limit is something like 10 or 20 minutes.

I've let it go over 30 minutes on the Mac...FreePPP never sees the outbound
packet and never redials the connection.

However, Lee gave me an idea when he mentioned that email worked properly
for him. Assuming he's talking about Eudora, which I use, I'm going to try
syncing up the mail check in Eudora with the client's timings. This just
might be a reasonable workaround for now.

--John

.sig out to lunch - be back soon