Re: Mac client statistics

andrew meggs (insect@antennahead.com)
Fri, 16 May 1997 14:14:57 -0400 (EDT)

On Fri, 16 May 1997, Mike Weber wrote:

> Now we have empirical data that says the 604e is 28% faster at a given
> clock speed than the 603e.

...on this particular task. I could write code that would run over twice
as fast on a 604 as a 603, or at the same speed on both of them. Since
the algorithm was designed for an x86, I couldn't make full use of some
of the nifty things a PPC can do that an x86 can't.

> Also, other than watching each machine closely, is there a way to know when
> the program has timed out on receiving a new block and needs to be
> restarted?

Not currently, but hopefully that will be available when the MP-aware
client comes out.

Andrew