PowerBook processor cycling

nick sklavounakis (nick@elf.soc.qc.edu)
Sat, 17 May 1997 03:36:56 -0400 (EDT)

On Fri, 16 May 1997, Will Koffel wrote:

> the 603e, previously ignored. My powerbook feels loved. BTW, are all the
> 603e's actually 603ev (the low voltage version, which is kinda the point.)?

The 603ev is yet another PowerPC chip. Its an (even) lower-voltage,
faster-clock version of the 603e.

> Also, can someone explain what that sneaky "allow processor cycling" option
> does?

>From the Apple PowerBook FAQ:

All PowerBook models implement a feature called processor cycling
(formerly known as processor rest) intended to save battery life.
This feature activates when the computer detects that the keyboard,
mouse, trackball, or Trackpad has not been used for more then a few
seconds. At this time, the processor speed is reduced to about
3 MHz and all processing functions become extremely slow. Processor
cycling will not activate while the computer is doing any sort of
data transfer.

Note that by default processor cycling is on, and although it is
intended for battery life conservation, it will also activate while
running off AC power.

(now back on topic ...).

So basically, if you plan to run DESChall for Mac on an unattended
PowerBook (AC _or_ DC), processor cycling should be turned off.

e-mail - nick@angel.net
http://www.tekserve.com/deschall