Re: Quit DESCHALL without reboot?

Rick Hornsby (hornsby@cis.ohio-state.edu)
Mon, 19 May 1997 22:01:26 -0400

There are a couple of options:

-Option 1, unattended reboot from linux-
You can use a linux boot disk on the x86 machines (I'm not sure about how
linux works on the Macs, but I've heard it will work on some), take the
boot disk with you, and then:

(From: Dave Terrell <dterrell@par0344.urh.uiuc.edu>)

Just start deschall on one console and do "sleep 32400 ; shutdown -r now"
on the other virtual console...
<<

where 32400 is the number of seconds until the shutdown (-rEBOOT) command
executes. When the machine reboots, it will go back into its native OS. :-)

- Option 2, win95 task scheduler turned task killer -

The win95 task scheduler (available as SystemAgent in PLUS!) *should* have
some option to shut a program down if it is still running after x amount of
time. I know that mine gives me that option. There should also be an
option to force the scheduled program to quit if the computer comes out of
"idle" and is in use.

good luck
-Rick

At 17.18 05.19.97 -0400, you wrote:
>I have just started to participate in DESCHALL and have just joined this
>mailing list. I attend a high school with two Macintosh labs of 16
>computers each and a Windows lab of about 5 machines. I've started to run
>the DESCHALL client on some Windows machines via a scheduler program, as well
>as full-time on a Linux box, but I'm wondering about both the Macs and the
>PCs. I believe I can get permission to run the client on all the lab
>machines, but this needs to be an evenings-only arrangement and it is not
>convenient to reboot the machines, especially the Windows boxes. Is there
>some way available to instruct or force the client to quit on an unattended
>machine? The clients need to be stopped by the time users get to the
machines
>in the morning.
>
>I have access to some high-level language compilers for either platform, so
>if there's a solution involving some code-writing, it might be feasible.
>What are people doing in other lab situations?
>
>I apologize if this question has already been (frequently) answered here;
>as I say, I'm new to the project and the list.
>
>--
>Nothing is more dangerous for man's private morality than the habit of
>commanding. The best man, the most intelligent, disinterested, generous,
>pure, will infallibly and always be spoiled at this trade.
> -- Mikhail A. Bakunin (thanks to Rabbi Albert Axelrad)

----------
"Masks reveal what they conceal. By donning some masks but not others,
people disclose precisely what they would most shield. Indeed, a person
does not hide behind a mask so much as struggle beneath the weight of it."
-Unknown
___
Rick Hornsby ___/ /__
The Ohio State University /__ ___/ ph. 614 688 7391
50 Curl Drive, Apt 256 / / hornsby.3@osu.edu
Columbus, OH 43210 /__/
http://freak.netnation.com/~cougar