Re: win95 perscription: 50mg of reboot daily (was Re: DESgui 1.2?)

Colin L. Hildinger (colin@ionet.net)
Wed, 21 May 97 14:00:37 -0500

On Wed, 21 May 1997 11:45:19 -0700 (PDT), Micah Anderson wrote:

>> UNIX (in general) 9 (reboot very seldom)
>> OS/2 8 (reboot every week or two)
>> NT 6 (reboot every few days)
>> Win95 4 (reboot daily)
>> Win3.1 2 (reboot 3-4 times a day)
>>

>I would have to argue for Unix to be a 10 - I've got three unix machines
>that have been up for over a year without problems. It is not possible to
>have memory leaks that cause the system to become stable because of the
>protected memory model of the unix OS. I've got an intel box running unix
>(one BSDI, one linux actually) and I can't remember the last time they
>were rebooted, hung or had problems. The Sparc that I am on now has been
>up for 30 days, the only reason it was down 30 days ago was to put more
>memory in it.

OK, OK, I just don't like to give anything a perfect rating. I
probably should have gone 1-20 and then I could have been more
accurate. OK here I go 1-20:

UNIX (in general) 19 (reboot very seldom)
OS/2 16 (reboot every week or two)
NT 13 (reboot every few days)
Win95 8 (reboot daily)
Win3.1 3 (reboot 3-4 times a day)