Re: Help with Firewall

Aaron Williams (aaronw@home.com)
Wed, 21 May 1997 20:21:40 PST

Addressed to: Distribution list (see below)

** Reply to note from "C. Mason" <lmason@istar.ca> Wed, 21 May 1997 21:51:29 -0400

> At 02:32 PM 5/21/97 -0300, C Matthew Curtin wrote:
> >

> >Hi,
>
> This sounds similar to my problem. I mentioned a few days ago that our
> firewall (BorderWare) allows transparent access to the internet (with no
> changes in the client software), but only on standard ports. Obviously,
> with such a setup, no proxy server is required, so we're basically out of
> luck connecting to the key server. If the server could accept connections
> on any standard port (ftp, telnet, ssh, http, mail, pop, etc.), this would
> allow people in such a situation to participate.
>
> (In fact, if it could allow tcp connections to a standard port, we wouldn't
> even need the u-t script.)
>

> Chris

I have the same problem you describe at work, I.E. I can only connect to
standard ports.

I wouldn't have a problem if I could run a gateway on my home system.
This would furthermore allow me to see how many keys are generated from
the machines at work as there's only one other machine (which appears to
be rather slow) on my ISP running this.

-Aaron

--
Aaron Williams  aaronw@home.com  Check out my OS/2 and Java web pages!