Re: what's this "nice" unix thing? I'm a sysadmin...

Dan Oetting (oetting@gldfs.cr.usgs.gov)
Fri, 23 May 1997 10:28:50 -0600

mathboy@sizone.org wrote:
>It seems that there needs to be some updated version of xload or the
>kernel's "load avg" facility. Or admins have to be educated a lot more.
>Or they have to stop trying to charge dollars for cycles.
>Sigh.
>
>Anyone feel like writing up a very formal, polite and educational
>plea/explanation as to HOW niced processes work and why its ok to use left
>over CPU for DESCHALL on systems where you ARE allowed to run 'external'
>programs? This has happened to me on no less than 12 systems
>I've or got friends to run this on.
>
>/kc

You could try going straight to the department head and offer to buy the
unused cycles at your value. Do the math (what is a cpu-day crunching keys
worth for its contribution to winning the $4000) and take exact change. If
they have any higher offers for the spare cpu cycles they should take that,
the University should not be waisting resources.

As for running 'external' programs, did this department write all of it's
software from scratch including the operating system and compilers? Are all
of those microsoft applications personaly signed by Bill Gates? What
security do they get just because the software comes in a shrink wraped
box!

-- Dan Oetting <oetting@gldfs.cr.usgs.gov>