Re: what's this "nice" unix thing? I'm a sysadmin...

Trent Piepho (xyzzy@u.washington.edu)
Fri, 23 May 1997 10:27:36 -0700 (PDT)

On Fri, 23 May 1997, Chris Schleicher wrote:
> I'd especially like info pertaining to IRIX. I've had no trouble with
> the Solaris client, but the IRIX client has been somewhat more reluctant
> to relinquish the CPU at times...

That's because IRIX's scheduling sucks. It's almost as bad as NT. Well,
maybe not that bad, but it isn't very good. I tried to run a CPU
intensive program niced to 19 on some Indys, but it made them really
slow. The CPU division between a normal processed and a really nice
one wasn't anywhere close to 0%/100% like it's supposed to be. You also
have to take into account the contex switching and cache flushing effects
another process that's always getting the CPU has.

I have two deschall processes niced to 14 on my dual P133 Linux machine.
Without deschall running I got 28.89 frames/sec in quake, with deschall
running I got 28.92 frames/sec. Go figure, deschall makes my computer run
faster(*)...

(*) Yes, I do realize .03 frames/sec is within the margin of error.

|Gazing up to the breeze of the heavens \ on a quest, meaning, reason |
|came to be, how it begun \ all alone in the family of the sun |
|curiosity teasing everyone \ on our home, third stone from the sun. |
|Trent Piepho (xyzzy@u.washington.edu) -- Metallica |