Re: what's this "nice" unix thing?

Fri, 23 May 1997 14:23:38 -0400 (EDT)

On Fri, 23 May 1997, Collin Ong wrote:

> I've been trying to run deschall heavily niced on some of the workstations
> here but no matter how low a priority I set, deschall never drops all the way
> to 0% when another process is run.

Part of this can be how the scheduler is implemented. I was experimenting
under HP/UX, and noticed that even if you SIGSTOP deschall, the priority

> Can anything be done to further lower deschall's CPU usage when something
> else is running? If so, I can get a bunch of workstations on the task
> this weekend.

Look at the "nice" and "renice" commands. Unless your Unix's scheduler is
horribly broken (as a few people have pointed out example of), you can set
the niceness to any absurd value.

You can always SIGSTOP/SIGCONT it too. I've got some scripts around that
will do that, based on load.

(dolske@cis.ohio-state.edu)
I am glad I will not be young in a future without wilderness.
-- Aldo Leopold