Re: what's this "nice" unix thing? I'm a sysadmin...

Chris D. Dickens (cdickens@ntr.net)
Fri, 23 May 1997 16:39:40 -0400 (EDT)

On Fri, 23 May 1997, Trent Piepho wrote:

> On Fri, 23 May 1997, Chris Schleicher wrote:
> > I'd especially like info pertaining to IRIX. I've had no trouble with
> > the Solaris client, but the IRIX client has been somewhat more reluctant
> > to relinquish the CPU at times...
>
> That's because IRIX's scheduling sucks. It's almost as bad as NT. Well,
> maybe not that bad, but it isn't very good. I tried to run a CPU
> intensive program niced to 19 on some Indys, but it made them really
> slow. The CPU division between a normal processed and a really nice
> one wasn't anywhere close to 0%/100% like it's supposed to be. You also
> have to take into account the contex switching and cache flushing effects
> another process that's always getting the CPU has.

I don't think you're being fair. I'm running IRIX 6.3 on an O2 R5000, and
if I go to run an application, like video editing, and it immediately
seizes everything my program requests. I've also watched a top showing
that it usually never gave up less than 6% though, which is reasonable
IMO.

Regardless, I can hardly tell the difference and I believe you're just
bitter about an older version of IRIX.

CRACK DES NOW!!! http://www.frii.com/~rcv/deschall.htm
Christopher Dickens - cdickens@ntr.net - SGI O2 Powered!!!
<http://www.ntr.net/~cdickens>
Copyright (c) 1997 by Christopher Dickens. All Rights Reserved.

NOTE: Everything disclosed is the sole opinion of Christopher Dickens
and in no way reflects the views or opinions, either in whole
or part, of NTR.NET Corporation or any of it's affiliates.