classic admin responce (fwd)

Eating Before Swimming (mathboy@sizone.org)
Sat, 24 May 1997 01:26:02 -0400 (EDT)

One of my friends and I were using an about-to-be-expired bunch of accounts
from his masters degree courses to run deschall, if we could get away
with it... apparently not (we logged over 180 minutes of CPU time
in a *SINGLE* process!!! (hmmm grep output for each new batch, kill and
restart the program.. or run 20 of them at once...)

Well, first we explained to the CS admins how nice works (and we were
'nice' about it). We didnt mention what the program did, jsut they knew
the name of the process, which we had changed to indicate its NICENESS
(since a '10' or '19' under the Nice category in TOP did not suffice).

Another person from the "admin team" got wind of us 'running external
software', saw the name of the process, and wrote us this:

(mebbe I shoulda just said "well, if we crack the msg, the info inside
is worth $4000!", then where would we be... "Actually, we're cracking keys
for the mafia..." :) (Im only 95% joking here.)

From: "Admin, Partially Clued" <admin@cs.small.canadian.university.ca>
Date: Fri, 23 May 1997 18:00:00 -0400
To: throwaway_account@said.university.ca
Subject: trying to break a DES encrypted message?

Hello David,
Please explain why did you run niced-des-challenge-sparc program
on ***** compute servers? It is against ****** policy to attempt
to take actions against security. Your account will be locked if
we do not hear an explanation from you.
thanks, *****

/kc

--
Ken Chase mathboy@sizone.org Sonic Interzone $free$ email/news Toronto Canada
Join the DES Challenge! Wake up the US Govt!   www.frii.com/~rcv/deschall.htm

NB:Only 16000 P200-months CPU req'd to recover 56-bit IBM alliance keys! ** U.S. EXPORT LAWS MAY NOT APPLY TO YOUR COUNTRY: DEVELOP YOUR NATIONS' OWN CRYPTO-EXPORT INDUSTRY! USE 2048bit KEYS FREELY! FLAUNT YOUR SOVEREIGNTY! **

--AAA18053.864449713/bsd.megaworks.com--