Re: Any MMX optimizations in the works?

David Ellis (dellis@inetport.com)
Sun, 25 May 1997 13:20:31 -0500

At 05:24 PM 5/25/97 -0000, you wrote:
>actually, it gets better than that.. the MMX can do 8 parallel
>add/subtracts/compares at the same time. The latest Microsoft tools can
>probably build for these instructions, and there IS an intel released
>development environment, but to the best of my knowledge, gcc/gas don't
>have mmx support yet, so it would be a little tricky. (assuming anyone's
>running something other than windows on their new MMX.)

But that is only if the data to be worked on is 8-bit. What size integer
data is being processed by the algorithm now? I had thought perhaps it was
32-bit in which case the MMX instructions can at least work on two at a
time. I would also guess that the final 'comparison' done to see if the
start of the decoded message matches the prize phrase would be done on 8-bit
data.

dellis@inetport.com