Re: Any MMX optimizations in the works?

David Ellis (dellis@inetport.com)
Sun, 25 May 1997 13:44:38 -0500

At 01:54 PM 5/25/97 -0700, you wrote:
>It gets better
>The AMD K6 is faster at MMX than the Intel Processors.
>Intel does 2 cycles per add, 3 per multiply
>AMD does it in 1 cycle per add, 2 per multiply.
>It's basically twice as fast at MMX.

Plus, the K6 can process MMX instructions at the same time as other
integer instructions. On the other hand, it can only process one MMX
instruction at a time while Intel can do two at a time.

All of which is a moot point here, unless someone is close to putting out
an MMX-optimised deschal6.exe (deschalx.exe, perhaps?). I saw on the home
web page a request for access to such a processor but it would be nice to
know where they stand on that and how fast it is.

dellis@inetport.com