solar.uPowered.org DESCHALL Gateway for non-.EDU!

Eating Before Swimming (mathboy@sizone.org)
Tue, 27 May 1997 21:45:39 -0400 (EDT)

then Nathan D. T. Boyd's all..

> *** DES Challenge Proxy Server ***
>
> AT MIT.
>
> Just tested it, and seems to be working fine. If you want to
> PARTICIPATE IN THE DES CHALLENGE (see
> http://www.frii.com/~rcv/deschall.htm) in a domain OTHER THAN MIT.EDU
> but want the MACHINE POWER to be CREDITED TO MIT then you can use my
> server. Just do this on any machine connected to the Internet:

Oh gee WHIZ! What SHAMELESS self promotion!

Gawds, I wrote sometihng alot less obtrusive than this, very small
hint, and buried in my message!!!

Why? Because I know the gateways cause some havoc on the master keyserver,
or so I have heard. Is this true?

uPowered schpeil:

- dont join MIT and become a small spec in a cluster of 1000s of machines!
(you can do that alreeady in DESCHALL yourself! ;)

- join uPOWERED if you're a non .EDU machine! (ie owned by a university,
if yer in a dorm, then go for it)

- uPowered is a loose group of internet/network developers and admins
and consultants who perform free community service (internet related :)
for charity and other technologically disadvantaged groups.

We have many people from different firms giving their personally controlled
cycles to our effort, not to mention personal home machines and anything
we can get our hands on thats NOT ALREADY part of someone else's effort.

We have our own mailing list, and our effort is completely without the
College-Football competition that exists at the top 5 rankings of
WELL FUNDED .EDU efforts ;)

So if you wanna join the UNDERDOG to show how a REAL UNFUNDED effort can
perform in DESCHAL, join micro-POWERED (uPowered)

How to join our effort: run your deschall client with this keyserver

solar.upowered.org
""""""""""""""""""

> As many people as want to may use this service.

Xactly! Same here!

> For the curious, you may check progress in
> /mit/ddaniel/Public/mydesproxy.log. It's in AFS and is an open file,
> so I'll just have to kill and restart the server occasionally, but

What? Err, we redo our own stats every 15 minutes:

http://solar.upowered.org/proxy.stats

You can see if any of your own machines are down, and currently Im also
coding in anything people want to see in the log stats output!

(cant find your stats page. URL?)

> the remaining $4,000. Hey, 3k still isn't bad, eh? If anyone
> strenuously objects based on any reasoned grounds I'll reconsider, but
> this is my offer for now. Thanks, and let's kick some psu/cmu/uiuc
> butt, eh?

Our model for splitting up the money is *EVERYONE* gets some money if
we win. $1000 to uPowered for charity, $1000 to the winner, and $2000 split
between everyone else (there are 8 or 9 people in our effort now, so
thats still $200+ average, and you get to ride on THE WHOLE GROUPS'
SUCCESS!) - its also partially based on CPU and # machines donated,
but not absolutely so no one can hog the whole $2000!) You have a better
chance with us, but really, we still have an infinitesimal chance.

DESCHALL winning the prize at all is enough for me and my involvment
with the project. Being with MIT wouldnt feel all that much different
now woudl it! :)

Join the underdog! :) We WILL be the #1 non .edu. (I may change this
soon to "other than Sun, that small computer firm." ;)

Reply to me for details. Please, only donate cycles which would not
otherwise be used for any other already existing effort in your domain.
(I dont want all of jfku.edu to join us, for eg, heh heh.)

/kc

--
Ken Chase mathboy@sizone.org Sonic Interzone $free$ email/news Toronto Canada
Join the DES Challenge! Wake up the US Govt!   www.frii.com/~rcv/deschall.htm

NB:Only 16000 P200-months CPU req'd to recover 56-bit IBM alliance keys! ** U.S. EXPORT LAWS MAY NOT APPLY TO YOUR COUNTRY: DEVELOP YOUR NATIONS' OWN CRYPTO-EXPORT INDUSTRY! USE 2048bit KEYS FREELY! FLAUNT YOUR SOVEREIGNTY! **