Re: the bitslice method

andrew meggs (insect@antennahead.com)
Thu, 29 May 1997 14:56:32 -0400

At 1:33 PM -0400 5/29/97, Darrell Kindred wrote:

>Not yet. The benefit of bit-slicing is significantly
>smaller on 32-bit CPUs, since you only have 32 virtual
>processors. It's still often a bit faster than the old
>clients though, so 32-bit bitsliced clients will probably
>appear before long.

Just to add to the info, my understanding is that at least for the present
that refers to compiled code vs. compiled code, and the PowerPC assembler
client currently in use on the Mac is running faster. Once the 32-bit
bitslice code is final I'll look at it to see if an assembly version would
be both feasible and beneficial -- some things you can optimize, and some
things are only going to go so fast no matter what you do.

Andrew Meggs, content provider Antennahead Industries, Inc.
<mailto:insect@antennahead.com> <http://www.antennahead.com>