Re: DESgui v1.3 beta Bug?

Sat, 31 May 1997 00:58:49 -0400 (EDT)

On Fri, 30 May 1997, Arvin Meyer wrote:

> I decided that I didn't need to keep a log, mainly because I wasn't
> particularly thrilled with it writing to my drive every few seconds. I have
> a Pentium 200 with 64 Mb so my HD will often go to sleep for 10 minutes at
> a time (nice power management).

I would guess that the client appears to slow down because you've got
power management stuff running -- it notices noone is using any
periphials, and so it powers down the drive and slows down the CPU.

Personally, I'd ditch the drive power management stuff. It's almost
certainly better for a drive to run in a constant state, than constantly
be spun up and down.

(dolske@cis.ohio-state.edu)
". . . my purpose is not to examine all the possibilities. My purpose is to
create strife and controversy for no reason." Dave Barry