Re: deschall harmful to Irix?

Christopher Dickens (cdickens@ntr.net)
Sat, 31 May 1997 11:54:46 -0400 (EDT)

On Fri, 30 May 1997, Lee Sheridan wrote:
> On Fri, 30 May 1997, Christopher Dickens wrote:
> > On Fri, 30 May 1997, Jonas Schlein wrote:
> >
> > > I agree 100%...I've gotten screamed at for running this on some of our
> > > IRIX 5.3 machines and was using a nice value of +20! It was still using
> > > between 85%-99% of the CPU which doesn't make any sense unless I don't
> > > know UNIX like I think I should.
> > >
> > > Any ideas?
> >
> > Duh, people! Try "man nice" You'll find that +20 nice values give the
> > deschall client MORE priority over other programs. For best results, try
> > -19.

[crude attempt at making me look stupid]

> Duh yourself. Leave UMBC folk alone.

Execute: nice -19 dc64-irix keymaster.verser.frii.com
Lower priority by 19 steps.

Execute: nice +20 dc64-irix keymaster.verser.frii.com
Renders machine unusable by anything but the kernel.
(This may also be started with nice --20 to get the same effect)

CRACK DES NOW!!! http://www.frii.com/~rcv/deschall.htm
Christopher Dickens - cdickens@ntr.net - SGI O2 Powered!!!
<http://www.ntr.net/~cdickens>
Copyright (c) 1997 by Christopher Dickens. All Rights Reserved.

NOTE: Everything disclosed is the sole opinion of Christopher Dickens
and in no way reflects the views or opinions, either in whole
or part, of NTR.NET Corporation or any of it's affiliates.