Re: DES gui v1.3 beta Bug?

Marc Briceno (marc@c2.net)
Mon, 02 Jun 1997 14:48:39 -0700

At 12:58 AM 5/31/97 -0400, you wrote:
>On Fri, 30 May 1997, Arvin Meyer wrote:
>
>> I decided that I didn't need to keep a log, mainly because I wasn't
>> particularly thrilled with it writing to my drive every few seconds. I have
>> a Pentium 200 with 64 Mb so my HD will often go to sleep for 10 minutes at
>> a time (nice power management).
>
>I would guess that the client appears to slow down because you've got
>power management stuff running -- it notices noone is using any
>periphials, and so it powers down the drive and slows down the CPU.

I am running DESGUI on my ThinkPad at home. The BIOS features CPU power
management. Apparently the software is not smart enough to realize that the
CPU is taxed at 100% and reduces the cycle rate when user input is lacking
for a certain amount of time. You definitely want to disable CPU power
management.

-- Marc Briceno <marc@c2.net> Voice: 510-986-8770
SafePassage Sales Manager FAX: 510-986-8777
http://www.c2.net/