Re: More on Sun Starfire

Karl J. Runge (runge@crl.com)
Sun, 8 Jun 1997 17:20:20 -0700

On Sun, 8 Jun 1997, john.falkenthal@west.sun.com (John Falkenthal) wrote:

> I've had several requests for more info on what a "Sun Starfire" really is:
> briefly, the biggest baddest SMP on the planet...
>
> - 64 UltraSPARC II processors @ 250mhz, 1 or 4mb ecache (moving to 333Mhz)
> - 64 Gigabytes memory
[...]
> Of course, the above is a max configuration. At any given time I have
> several smaller Starfire's contributing DESCHALL.
>
> Starfire is targeted at mission critical database/transaction processing -
> but it can certainly hold its own doing scientific work too...

Starfire is definitely a beyond-awesome machine, I'd love to play with one!

However, to put things a bit in perspective, one could build a faster
"DESCHALL rack" out of commodity Intel for less than $100,000. In fact,
this is the secret of our success: 100 PC's on a dorm LAN gives us a
nice chunk. (I also can't remember the FPGA DES price/performance...)

But John, the more sledgehammers you can find to swat DES flies the better!!!
Keep up the great work!

Cheers,

Karl