Re: Process scheduling.

Trent Piepho (xyzzy@u.washington.edu)
Mon, 9 Jun 1997 01:48:55 -0700 (PDT)

On Mon, 9 Jun 1997, Colin L. Hildinger wrote:
> I like OS/2's method, personally. There are four brackets of priority,
> each with higher importance. A critical priority always takes
> precedence over an idle one. Period. If a critical priority thread is
> due, a server level one and below waits, if an server level thread is
> due, an application level and below waits, and if an application level
> thread is due, idle waits (I might not have gotten the names right).

There are some flaws with a strict priority system like this. Say an
application program has locked a file that a server process needs. The
application will never get any cpu time and will never unlock the file. Thus
it is effectivly preventing the higher priority server process from running.

|Gazing up to the breeze of the heavens \ on a quest, meaning, reason |
|came to be, how it begun \ all alone in the family of the sun |
|curiosity teasing everyone \ on our home, third stone from the sun. |
|Trent Piepho (xyzzy@u.washington.edu) -- Metallica |