Re: What's Next?

Adam L. Beberg (beberg@distributed.net)
Tue, 10 Jun 1997 02:52:23 -0500 (CDT)

On Mon, 9 Jun 1997, Greg Hewgill wrote:
> > From: Cassaela <cassaela@zipcon.net>
> > > In other words, what's the plan?
> >
> > The future is RC5 for everybody I know.
>
> I've been kind of enamored by the GIMPS (Great Internet Mersenne Prime
> Search) project (http://www.mersenne.org). All my machines at work are

Greetings DES peoples :)

Well, since I am one of the people working on the RC5 cracking effort, I'm
hoping people will all come join us when DES gets cracked. The DES-Sol
guru has already agreed to direct his people our way...

We are also already working to move all the people working on RC5 to the
Mersenne prime search when we crack RC5. the GIMPS folks are not currently
equiped to handle a large mass of volenteers, it's human coordinated. I'm
already in contact with their coordinator to adapt our network to search
for primes. Even tho our clients are already very general, tunnel through
firewalls, and we have personal proxies...this is not gonna be a quick
convertion.

The goal of distributed.net is also to bring together all the computing
power we can to a single task. I'm sure I don't need to point out that if
the DESCHALL, DES-Sol, and SGI people where working together, you would be
50% throught the keyspace by now, and you wouldn't have duplicated
CPU-centuries of work...

Hope to see you on distributed.net when you beat DES :)

- Adam L. Beberg
beberg@distributed.net
http://www.iit.edu/~beberg/