Re: Other Efforts

Tue, 10 Jun 1997 16:08:38 -0400 (EDT)

On Tue, 10 Jun 1997, Will Koffel wrote:

> Someone might be able to clarify better, but I think that
> one of the brute-force search algorithms was created by (or created in part
> by) an MIT professor here,

Well, there's really no algorithm for a brute force search. That's the
whole point. :-) You just try all the keys, one by one. I'm not aware of
any other practical techniques that can be used to break a single, short,
DES message.

> I'm not sure if
> the MIT affiliation was with the RC5 effort, but it might be. Or something
> else.

The DESCHALL code had no MIT contributers. As far as I know, neither
does SolNet or the previous RC5 cracks. Besides, it's quite likely that a
MIT professor exporting code like this would be breaking the law. [Not
that that always stops people...]

(dolske@cis.ohio-state.edu)
1 + 1 = 3, for large enough values of 1.