Re: Other Efforts

techs@obfuscation.org
Tue, 10 Jun 1997 20:50:29 -0400 (EDT)

> On Tue, 10 Jun 1997, Will Koffel wrote:
>
> > Someone might be able to clarify better, but I think that
> > one of the brute-force search algorithms was created by (or created in part
> > by) an MIT professor here,
>
> Well, there's really no algorithm for a brute force search. That's the
> whole point. :-) You just try all the keys, one by one. I'm not aware of
> any other practical techniques that can be used to break a single, short,
> DES message.

I think he meant something along the lines of the method to the madness of
handing out the keys.. is it purely random? is it sequential from 0 to
(large number here)? sequential wouldn't be very good, and totally
random probably wouldn't be terribly good either.. i'd guess it was
splitting the keyspace into n chunks and working away from those points
in either direction.. but i could be wrong.

--
(emf:erik fichtner:techs:discursive melancholia)
"It's true. No man is an island. But if you take a bunch of dead