Re: Other Efforts

Colin L. Hildinger (colin@ionet.net)
Tue, 10 Jun 97 23:30:15 -0500

On Tue, 10 Jun 1997 22:39:30 CDT, Bret J. Musser wrote:

>I would think that a sequential distribution of keys would simplify the
>search. Furthermore, if all three major efforts searched three completely
>seperate areas of the keyspace, the contest would be over sooner (since
>there would be no overlap of the searched areas) and it wouldn't change the
>chance that anybody in DESCHALL would win.

It would speed things up, but it would also decrease the chance of a
DESCHALL winner. Since we're ahead of everyone and moving faster, it's
becoming more and more likely that they're searching space we've
already searched, too bad for them. Sure, we might search space that
they've searched, but we're going faster, so the odds hurt us less than
they do them. Can you tell I'm competitive? I like to be on the
winning team, though I sometimes like to help an underdog win. That's
what I thought DESCHALL would be, I figured Solnet would start catching
us and we'd have to work like crazy to stay ahead, but it hasn't worked
that way. Cool. I like to think that some of the promoting (to OS/2
people and people at my ISP) has at least been responsible for a bit of
our ability to stay ahead.

Colin L. Hildinger

Games Editor - OS/2 e-Zine!
http://www.os2ezine.com/