Re: Other Efforts

Mike Weber (miweber@davidson.edu)
Wed, 11 Jun 1997 11:35:24 -0400

At 12:30 AM -0400 6/11/97, Colin L. Hildinger wrote:
>that way. Cool. I like to think that some of the promoting (to OS/2
>people and people at my ISP) has at least been responsible for a bit of
>our ability to stay ahead.

Another little bit may be that SolNET doesn't have a Mac client. According
to our stats page, MacOS clients have accounted for 10% of DESChall's
search rate over the last week. Take that contribution and add it to a
different effort and the race suddenly looks different... I don't know if
SOLNet doesn't have a Mac programmer, doesn't have the time, or doesn't
feel Macs are worthwhile, but I consider 44419848 * 2^20 keys per day a
significant contribution from a client development effort. In a
distributed computing environment, the more people you're friends with the
faster you go!

Mike

Mike Weber * Coordinator of Academic Computing Applications Support
miweber@davidson.edu * Davidson College * Davidson, NC * (704) 892-2429
PGP key at http://www.davidson.edu/computing/staff/miweber/miweber.html