Re: Sneaky Idea to enlist the Unwashed Masses

Michael.Barillier@mci.com
Wed, 11 Jun 1997 16:26:02 -0600 (MDT)

On Wed, 11 Jun 1997, Charles Forsythe wrote:

> My co-worker's been tossing out this idea... he's never going to implement it so I
> thought I'd mention it in this list and see what people think. Here it is:
>
> 1. Make a Java-applet DES cracker client
> 2. Attract people to your page (any picture of a naked woman usually works)
> 3. Have the client crack a small keyspace (.5M?), as it may not live long

Check out the JavaWorld article at
http://209.1.23.51/javaworld/jw-01-1997/jw-01-dampp.html. The author
describes an applet that performs background processing using UDP to
contact a server for work. The architecture he describes is (I gather)
similar to Rocke's deschall-cracking architecture. The down side is that
an applet is restricted to opening a socket back to the server from which
the applet/page came, so you couldn't pass the applet around for anyone to
place on their page, unless you also had them run a gateway on their
server to connect to the Deschall server. It's do-able, but with the
performance of Java I'd bet you'd get better bang for your buck by talking
a buddy with a Sparc into running the C client ...

-- mjb