Re: Sneaky Idea to enlist the Unwashed Masses

Daniel Berlin (bmdberlin@worldnet.att.net)
Wed, 11 Jun 1997 19:50:15 -0400

Okay, all of you.
Not to sound snide, but we've had this discussion three times so far (first one happened about 2 weeks into the DES challenge, back when our keyrate was meager ;) ), and covered all these points.

I have JAVA DES code.
Yes, it run slowly.
45,000-85,000 keys per second on my pentium 133 with a JIT (don't ask which one. I can't talk about it, but it is indeed the fastest JIT, and a version of it that is not currently availible to the public).
Well, that was the last time i speed tested it. Made a lot of changes since then.
then again, it's not horribly optimized.
Without a JIT it's worthless.

Does it violate export laws?
Versions of the original JAVA DES code, written by someone else (i took it, added network stuff to it, and optimized it quite a bit), exist outside the US, so if someone outside the US did it, no it wouldn't violate laws.

Is it worth it?
I don't know.
I don't have time to maintain it, or implement a client.
I just turned 18 on monday.
I start work at Microsoft (worked at a law firm for most of the school year) real soon now.

If someone is serious enough about it, and signs an NDA with rocke and whatever else needs to be done to be able to write client, let me know, and i'll
A. give you the code
B. be happy to provide any info/help you need, although i won't code (i will look over code if you like or whatever)

--Dan

----