Re: 6X86 CPUs

Aaron Whiteman (awhitema@scs.wsu.edu)
Thu, 12 Jun 1997 08:35:08 -0700 (PDT)

On Thu, 12 Jun 1997, Mark J. Verdi wrote:

> I'm not bashing Intel, I own a Pentium myself, but don't you think that
> creating a market segment by selling crippled 486 chips with disabled
> math co
> processors and calling them 486SX's so they could sell non-crippled 486
> chips
> with an extra pin and call them a 487's was pretty darn close to lying
> customers about what they were buying.

No more so than when Moto and Apple sold crippled (buggy) 040 processors
w/o the math coprocessor, and called them 68LC040's (of course you had to
look really deep in the specs to find the LC part (or try to run a program
requiring an FPU. I remember the sx/dx diffs, It was fairly clear that
the sx had no FPU, which is why I would have gone for a DX, if I hadnt
gotten a Mac instead. (Now the proud owner of a Pmac 6500 crunching 1000+
kkeys/sec :)

Aaron
join the $10,000 challenge! Help deschall crack DES, proving we need more
security on the web.... <http://www.frii.com/~rcv/deschall.htm>